15. Landing a job at Box and Uber and flying helicopters – Ken from Uber
Rejection isn’t something that’s super comfortable to talk about, but it’s important to remember how common it is during the job hunt. Today on GigaNation, Jeff talks to an old college buddy – Ken who recognised that rejection was a necessary evil to landing him some fantastic jobs.
Ken generously shares his strategies on how he got hired at companies like Box and Uber. He breaks down the different interviewing styles of these and other tech companies, and how you can prepare yourself. Being comfortable with rejection is key for sure because you’ll encounter your fair share of that.
Now living in New York working at Uber, Ken is living the dream. He’s also exploring his other passions including obtaining a pilot license which would have to be up there as one of the coolest “side hustles” in the world.
TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE
- You’re going to go through so many interviews before you get hired. It’s rare to land a job from your first interview. Be patient and be eager
- Put in the work and dedication and the rest will come
- Build up a good interview knowledge base so that you don’t have to work as hard the next time you go through the interview process
- While you’re young with no real responsibilities, evaluate where you want to be and make changes